Information on TANF Alabama Program. Alabama TANF is also called Alabama Family Assistance
TANF Alabama is a support service for Alabama families. The purpose of TANF (Temporarily Assistance to Needy Families) Alabama is to provide financial and medical assistance to needy dependent children and the parents or relatives with whom they are living. Eligible TANF households receive monthly cash and Medicaid benefits. TANF uses state funds to provide cash assistance to families.
Under TANF, eligible adults are limited to receiving benefits for a total of 60 months in their lifetime, including months of TANF-funded assistance granted in other states. Once this limit is reached, that adult and all members of his or her FA household are ineligible to receive any more TANF benefits. The 60 months need not be consecutive, but rather each individual month in which TANF-funded benefits are received is included in the lifetime count
Do You Qualify for TANF Alabama?
To qualify for Alabama TANF:
- you must be a resident of Alabama,
- either pregnant OR responsible for a child under 19 years of age,
- a US national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident,
- have low or very low income,
- and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed.
TANF Alabama Application Process:
- To apply, print and fill out an application and deliver or mail it to your local Department of Human Resources. Click here for the application:
An application can also be obtained by calling the local office and requesting one be mailed to you. You can find the location and contact information for your local Department of Human Resources office by clicking here:
For more information on Alabama TANF:
Program Contact Information
Email: Family Assistance
Alabama Department of Human Resources
Family Assistance Division
50 North Ripley Street
Montgomery, Alabama 36130