Information on TANF California Program – TANF California is also called California CalWORKs
TANF California is a support service for California families. The purpose of TANF (Temporarily Assistance to Needy Families) Californiais to provide financial and medical assistance to needy dependent children and the parents or relatives with whom they are living. Eligible TANF households receive monthly cash and Medicaid benefits. TANF uses state funds to provide cash assistance to families.
Under TANF, eligible adults are limited to receiving benefits for a total of 60 months in their lifetime, including months of TANF-funded assistance granted in other states. Once this limit is reached, that adult and all members of his or her FA household are ineligible to receive any more TANF benefits. The 60 months need not be consecutive, but rather each individual month in which TANF-funded benefits are received is included in the lifetime count
Do You Qualify for TANF California CalWORKs?
To qualify for California TANF:
- you must be a resident of California,
- either pregnant OR responsible for a child under 19 years of age,
- a US national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident,
- have low or very low income,
- and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed.
TANF California Application Process:
- You may begin the CalWORKs online application process at one of the following websites depending on the county you live in:
For more information on California TANF:
For more information, please visit: http://www.cdss.ca.gov/calworks/default.htm