Information on TANF Virginia Program
TANF Virginia is a support service for Virginia families. The purpose of TANF (Temporarily Assistance to Needy Families) Virginia is to provide financial and medical assistance to needy dependent children and the parents or relatives with whom they are living. Eligible TANF households receive monthly cash and Medicaid benefits. TANF uses state funds to provide cash assistance to families.
Under TANF, eligible adults are limited to receiving benefits for a total of 60 months in their lifetime, including months of TANF-funded assistance granted in other states. Once this limit is reached, that adult and all members of his or her FA household are ineligible to receive any more TANF benefits. The 60 months need not be consecutive, but rather each individual month in which TANF-funded benefits are received is included in the lifetime count
Do You Qualify for TANF Virginia?
- you must be a resident of Virginia,
- either pregnant OR responsible for a child under 19 years of age,
- a US national, citizen, legal alien, or permanent resident,
- have low or very low income,
- and be either under-employed (working for very low wages), unemployed or about to become unemployed.
TANF Virginia Application Process:
- You may get an Application for Benefits form at the department of social services office in your county or city. If you go to the social services office, you may fill out the form there and turn it in before leaving, or you may take it with you and mail or take it back later. If you prefer, you can call the social services office and ask them to send you an application form. You must then mail or take it back to the social services office. An interview is required to go over the information to complete the application process.Please visit the Virginia Department of Social Services website to locate the nearest department of social services and/or download an application for benefits:
Local social service agency:
- Social Services General Information:
- 1-800-552-3431 (toll-free) or 804-726-7000
Virginia Beach Department of Human Services
Alexis Zoss, Director
3432 Virginia Beach Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-4420
(757) 437-3466 (FAX)